Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I'm (Not) Gonna Soak Up the Sun

I will not yield to you, country/pop songs! I refuse to soak up the sun, Sheryl Crowe! Damn ye, oh hated UVA/B rays! I will avoid you like the plague of locusts you are!

That said, I'm headed to Daytona, folks! Whoo-hoo! I just got my letter yesterday. I'm to be an AP reader for U.S. Government and Politics - you know, the written tests high schoolers take to get credit for an advanced course. Josh says it "isn't fair": they're getting a better deal than they realize, because I read so fast. My response: Well, my response was lost to the annals of history as I excitedly thumbed through the "hotel amenities" and activities lists.

The beach is 400 feet away from the convention center we're staying at. I know where I'll be at 5:00 every afternoon. Burning to a crispy fritter while narrowly escaping fearsome marauding dolphin attacks, no doubt. So the actual reading is from 8:30 until 4:45 every day, and then it segues from "working" into "vacation". The convention center looks nice - all oceanfront rooms, and several pools. In April it will house the NCAA finals. Maybe Tyler Hansbrough will leave his face mask, and I can have a keepsake to sell on Ebay.

Here's what I've packed so far:

Sunscreen, #45, 1 gallon
Facial sunscreen, #45, 1 quart
Sunscreen lip balm, #45, 1 pint
Protective hat, a la Julie Andrews in "The Sound of Music"
Large protective t-shirts, dark, to prevent sun exposure
Large protective short pants
Sunglasses, Jackie O or grasshopper style, to shield face
Aloe, 1 gallon tub

Probably a swimsuit will come in handy too. As soon as Josh sees what I'll be wearing on the beach (all of the above), he'll realize he needen't worry about my week alone with all those stereotypically male-modelish hot U.S. Government teacher geeks. :) NASCAR, beware!

No comments: